At DeafBlind Ontario Services, we believe with a helping hand and supportive touch, individuals with deafblindness can increase their independence on their own terms. DeafBlind Ontario Services provides accessible residential and customized support services across the province. Our holistic approach to Intervenor Services empowers people with deafblindness to achieve their goals and dreams.
In 1989, a group of parents lobbied the provincial government of Ontario as advocates for their children with deafblindness in an attempt to secure funding for community based supported living programs to commence when the children completed their education.
Independent Living Residences for the Deafblind in Ontario (ILRDBO), was born out of this movement; on April 6, 1989 we were incorporated as a not-for-profit organization. Initially there were three homes in York Region with three individuals with congenital deafblindness residing in each.
Toward the end of 2007, ILRDBO changed its name to DeafBlind Ontario Services.
- Gerry & Dorothy Brogan
- Adrienne & Mike Caruso
- Lynne Faltash
- Steven Gaylord
- Carol & William Hurtick
- Charles Kelliher
- Connie Southall
- Dorothy Wilcox
Mission, Vision and Values
DeafBlind Ontario Services supports individuals who are deafblind to live and thrive within the community.
Enriching lives one touch at a time.
We are Passionate
We are driven to empower the people we support and to celebrate their uniqueness.
We demonstrate being passionate by:
- Embracing challenges and opportunities with energy and enthusiasm;
- Extending the reach of the people we support into the community, where they can achieve their goals, dreams and aspirations;
- Creating and providing unique opportunities to learn and grow; and
- Motivating and encouraging our co-workers, as well as the people we support, to challenge themselves every day.
We are Collaborative
Engaging others makes us better. Each of us has something to learn and something to teach.
We demonstrate being collaborative by:
- Fostering partnerships with the people we support, their families, other community resources, government, funders and organizations with similar goals—locally, nationally and around the world;
- Committing to open communication and transparency when working with each other and our partners; and
- Supporting each other and seeking input from others for solutions that benefit all.
We are Leaders
We set the standard and promote excellence in our field.
We demonstrate being leaders by:
- Constantly evolving and striving for excellence in everything we do;
- Mentoring, educating and encouraging ourselves and others;
- Generating and being receptive to new ideas;
- Advocating for people’s rights, beliefs and dreams; and
- Holding ourselves accountable to the people we support, families, employees, funders and other stakeholders.
We are Resilient
When faced with challenges, we adapt and grow—becoming stronger together.
We demonstrate being resilient by:
- Providing holistic services that are responsive to the ever-changing needs of individuals with deafblindness;
- Being proactive in identifying and addressing circumstances that may present challenges; and
- Learning from setbacks and being persistent and flexible in our efforts to find creative, workable solutions.
We are Limitless
We believe in endless possibilities.
We demonstrate being limitless by:
- Being courageous, open-minded and creative; and
- Empowering each other to go outside the box and achieve goals and dreams.